DOT Coordinator is responsible to work with employees to ensure they are in compliance with all local and federal state laws and regulations along with company policies. Coordinates the preparation and completion of regulatory and compliance documents. Responsible for driver training and skill assessment to include on-boarding training and orientation, remedial training, and maintaining compliance with DOT and FMCSA regulations. The position assists in ensuring we maintain our reputable safety scores. The position will also be responsible for maintaining compliant files and records and efficient use of Hours of Service.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties
• Effectively evaluate, monitor, analyze and identify all driver compliance and non-compliance issues and resolve them in a timely manner.
• Responsible for helping manage internal and external compliance reporting, providing compliance advice and assistance, conducting compliance investigations, manage on-going education program.
• Monitor and assist in enforcement of DOT and FMCSA regulations to ensure compliance.
• Responsible for conducting all tasks associate with:
o Driver Qualifications – Medical Cards/Physicals, CDL, Annual Driving Records
o Driver Training – DOT regulations, Hazmat training (all areas required for our industry)
o Driver Records – Processing employment applications, DOT required documents, company policies, CSA, MVR, criminal background, PEV
• Conduct daily audits of drivers to ensure compliance and productivity through a fleet management and tracking software system.
• Administer random drug screens and expiration list processes including driver’s license and medical card renewal.
• May assist in the implementation and monitoring of compliance controls, compliance procedures and operational processes.
• Issue and maintain fleet cards for company drivers and company owned power units.
• Apply for permits and certifications (oversize, IFTA, Hazmat, NMFTA) for the company.
• Register titles and tags for company owned and leased equipment (County Fleet and IRP).
• Reviews reporting of all vehicle, passenger and employee accidents/incidents for determination of cause and preventability and identifying potential trends.
• Process and manage all driver accident claims with our insurance carrier and assigned adjusters.
• Coordinate and request Certificate of Insurances with our insurance carrier.
• Conduct driver call ins and complaints while managing the risk for the company.
• Maintain roadside inspections and citations including overweight, traffic violations, etc.
• Review Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR) daily and communicate with driver management to correct and validate the resolution.
• Manage the Safety Management System (SMS) to ensure all recorded information is accurate and belongs to our company record.
• Manage safety and quality incident tracker associated to all not at fault and at fault incidents.
• Track monthly safety training topics and meetings for warehouse and driver employees.
• Calculate and file quarterly fuel taxes for the company timely.
• File Heavy Vehicle Use Tax annually and as qualified trucks are purchased.
• Conduct the renewal and MCS-150 filing for the company every other year.
• Coordinate the distribution of truck permit books for current and new assets.
• Validate and process the billing for background checks, drug testing, physicals, PrePass.
• Serve as the Administrator for fleet management software system and stay abreast of updates/changes, new features, releases, and training opportunities.
• Ensures that all training materials are up to date, that necessary supplies are available and that inventories are secured and kept up to date.
• Act as the point of contact for uniforms and associated billing at all locations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• 5 plus years of experience in transportation compliance.
• Expertise and extensive knowledge of DOT rules and regulations.
• Ability to gain exposure to some of the complex tasks within the job function.
• Deadline driven with excellent organizational skills.
• Previous fleet management and tracking software system. Geotab experience a plus.
• Advanced computer skills with proficiency and working knowledge in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
• Able to utilize latitude given within job parameters to make independent decisions.
• Capability to handle multiple tasks and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
• Candidates must be comfortable with a fast paced, opportunity filled work environment.
• Self-starter with ability to take initiative and be an independent thinker.
• Maintain work by effectively using problem solving skills
• Ability to define processes and procedures as well as initiate tasks related to job requirements.
• A quick learner with solid work habits who works well under pressure and strict deadlines, with constant re-prioritization of duties.
• Maintains the highest levels of integrity and confidentiality regarding company information.
• Must have strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Must have strong communication and presentation skills with the ability to assess, coach, and mentor drivers.
• Ability to manage multiple projects, establish priorities, and accomplish goals and objectives.
The job description of DOT Compliance / Safety Coordinator is not inclusive and is subject to changes, additions, and deletions as determined by the supervisor.